Friday, July 4, 2014

4th of July OWH VCMP: His and Hers {OWH Sketch} Cards



Please click here to return to the OWH post.


Hi, everyone!
Welcome to the first stop on this weekend's OWH VCMP! I am so excited to be hosting a challenge. Thanks to Sandy and the OWH team for organizing this party.  :)
Challenge #1: His and Her SKETCH Cards

Inspiration: OWH Sketch #161
Step 1: Choose an OWH Sketch.
Step 2: Use the sketch to make two cards: a his card and a her card.
Step 3: Link up your cards below.

Okay, if you are ready to go:
  • Scroll down to the end of the post to read about the blog candy.
  • Click here if you'd like to read details about the cards shown at the right.
  • Go forth and create!
If you would like a little more information about OWH, OWH card guidelines, and/or OWH Sketches, please read on.

Operation Write Home Information

OWH: Operation Write Home is a wonderful nonprofit organization consisting of a "merry band of cardmakers" who make cards to support our deployed troops. We make blank cards that troops can use to write to loved ones back home, as well as Any Hero cards that are handwritten notes of appreciation for our heroes. There are many ways provided by OWH Founder Sandy and the OWH blog team to inspire us cardmakers, including weekly sketches and virtual cardmaking parties.

Card Guidelines: Since we are sending cards to troops deployed overseas, there are some card guidelines. The big four are: 1) A2 (5.5" by 4.25") cards, 2) glitter-free cards, 3) cards for specifically-requested themes, and 4) liners for cards with dark-colored bases. To learn more about OWH card needs, please visit OWH card guidelines and OWH mailroom operation.

Sketch #161
OWH Sketches: OWH posts a new sketch every Sunday. To date, over 200 sketches have been posted -- and every single sketch has measurements! These sketches can be used as exact blueprints -- or they can be the starting off point for an OWH card. (I used to stress out when my card deviated from the sketch and sample card. Trust me, there is no need to worry about that!) I used OWH Sketch #161 for my two sample cards. I tried to be pretty true to the sketch for my Her card. But, as you can see, I took a few more liberties with my His card -- using three ovals instead of one, using a city scape instead of a rectangular strip at the bottom, and adding a starburst next to the oval.



Blog Candy

So, what's a party without a little candy? You might have noticed I used Paper Smooches stamps on the her card and PS stamps and dies on the His card. Well, there's nothing much sweeter than stamps and dies from PS, a longtime OWH supporter.

Thanks to the generosity of the uber-talented Kim of Paper Smooches, there is a $20 PS gift certificate up for grabs. The gift certificate will be randomly awarded to one lucky person who links a photo showing both OWH-sketch-inspired cards -- one his and one hers -- by 8 A.M. EST on Tuesday,
July 8.


Parting Thoughts

Have fun! Can't wait to see your sketch-inspired his and hers cards. And can't wait to see what the other hostesses have planned for us. See you at Michelle's at 10:00 EST.  :)

Thanks for stopping and happy scrappin'!



24 comments:

  1. Thank you for a fun first challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara,

      So glad you had fun! Thanks so much for playing along. Love the colors and patterns you used on your his and hers cards. :)

      Delete
  2. great start, cool challenge and cool cards!--and great candy, I love ps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chark.

      So glad you enjoyed the challenge. As you can tell, I'm a huge PS fan, too! I was thrilled when Kim offered blog candy for the challenge. :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful cards Sybrina! I hope lots of people wake up and join! I am hoping to - just as soon as the remains of a fun time with granddaughters is cleaned up, and I can find my desk :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ronni! Bet you had a great time with your granddaughters. We had our dads out, and then I went to fireworks with my dad. Not nearly as messy, but lots of fun! Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sybrina! Thank you for hosting this challenge. I really enjoyed doing this one and am inspired to make more cards using this sketch! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lynn.

      So glad you enjoyed the challenge. I had such a fun time going back and revisiting the old sketches before deciding on #161. Thanks for playing along!

      Delete
  5. Terrific challenge and cards. You picked a perfect sketch to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlene, Thanks so much for your kind words. And, thanks for all you do for OWH. The OWH Blog Team rocks!

      Delete
  6. I loved your challenge, it was so much fun! I love both of your cards, but the super hero is my favorite and the sketch you picked was fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lori.

      So glad you had fun with this challenge. And, I was pleased to see you are hosting a challenge, too. Looking forward to getting caught up tomorrow. :)

      Delete
  7. Great Challange!! Hard to decided which sketch to use, a lot of favorites!
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I totally understand what you mean about having trouble picking a sketch. I don't know how many times I scrolled through the sketches before deciding on #161. Sounds like we are both fans of the weekly sketches!

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy a his-n-hers challenge. Hoping I can make some time to play along before the weekend is over. That PS superhero is so darn cute! Happy Independence Day Sybrina! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Paula. It's always so good to hear from you. You'll appreciate that my original inspiration for a his-n-hers challenge was a previous S&S post. And, I'm so glad you like the little superhero... I wish you knew how many times I ask, "What would Paula do?" Think I asked that very question a time or two when designing this little superhero. Hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi, Michele.

    Thanks for these kind words... and for playing along. Love that PS eagle on your cards! Today was filled with family fun. So, I'm hoping to play along with your challenge tomorrow. Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The perfect challenge! Thanks for the great examples to get us going. Enjoy your holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dixie! So glad you got to play along -- love the colors on both of your cards. Hope you, too, enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend. :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the challenge! Love your super hero!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea for a challenge! I love the colors - and especially all the tiny stars - on the super hero card! The version for her is quite pretty too! Thanks for having such a fun idea for a challenge! Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for such a fun challenge! I was able to do a "double set" of this one to add to my OWH box!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray! I finally got all my cards finished and am linking my photos. This was fun! Thanks for the chance to participate

    ReplyDelete