Thursday, November 6, 2014

Thinking of You

Hi, everyone.

Retired me is trying to be even more frugal than pre-retired me. So, it was a bonanza day at Big Lots and the supermarket when I came across a 7-drawer Sterilite organizer and clearance STRAWBERRY yogurt. If only Big Lots would start carrying Stampin' Up!, Paper Smooches, Tim Holtz, Really Reasonable Ribbon, Simon Says, Winnie and Walter....  

Today's card was inspired by the current Shopping Our Stash challenge to create a project with at least one leaf and the current Wednesday Simon Says Stamp Thinking of You challenges. It is also loosely based on this week's Mojo Monday sketch. Think this would make a great Thanksgiving card for my brother's family.  :)

Creative Memories abundance 8 x 8 paper; Recollections jute/burlap
Stampin' Up! mossy meadow; Distress Ink core rusty hinge
SU (2000) sentiment stamp, heat embossed in Zing Copper powder
Paper Smooches leaves 1 die and twine
Paper Studio brads; EK border punch
inking in Distress Ink walnut stain; adhesive: Ranger multi-medium matte

I'm really pleased with the way this card turned out. Love the texture and dimension. And it only took two tries to get that sentiment looking crisp and sharp!  :)

Nov. 10 Update: Since hearing from Karen of the challenge blog Word Art Wednesday, I decided to pay her site a visit. For those who do not know, this is a weekly challenge blog focusing on uplifting messages including, but not limited to, scripture verses. So, I'm going to link up this card for this week's Word Art Wednesday thankful challenge.

Parting Thoughts

Really looking forward to tomorrow. My father-in-law is celebrating his 91st birthday. We're not doing the fancy dinner like last year. Instead, hubby and I are doing lunch with our two dads. But, it should be a red-letter day nonetheless.  :)

Hubby's dad is a World War II vet that flew bombing missions over Germany. The photo below is from the family collage that hangs in our entryway.



November challenge
Nov. 1 - Nov. 21
Hope you all have a chance to check out the November challenge at Words 2 Scrap By. I-Teamer Annie is our hostess this month, and she has come up with a poignant inspiration quote that is perfect for Thanksgiving.

 Have a great weekend. Thanks for stopping and happy scrappin'!

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic card Sybrina! Love the burlap on the banner!
    Thanks for playing along with the crew at Shopping Our Stash this week for our "Leaf Me Alone" challenge!!

    Happy birthday to your FIL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like all the layers and texture you've used. Such a pretty card! Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous card - I hope the birthday lunch with the dads went well!
    Thanks for playing along at Simon Says Stamp.
    Hugs,
    Caryn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful card! I love the burlap banner and spiral border! Congrats and happy birthday to your FIL on his milestone birthday! I think it's so nice that you're all going out to lunch to celebrate :) Thanks too for the kind words you left for me today - I'm so flattered and appreciative! (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful card, Sybrina! I hope you father-in-law had a very blessed birthday. Enjoy him! I just became your newest blog follower, and I hope that you will stop by and follow me as well. You can find my blog here: www.karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

    Also, I serve on the Really Reasonable Ribbon Design Team and would love to have you play along in our challenges there, and I also run another challenge blog called Word Art Wednesday (always Anything Goes) and would LOVE having you play along in our challenge there as well. LOTS of great prizes to be won at both. Stop by soon!
    www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work! The composition is outstanding and the color palette, perfect! Thanks for taking the challenge and playing along with us here at Shopping Our Stash!
    Hugz,
    Chana, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous card Sybrina :-) I love the colours and textures,,very lovely :-)
    Congratulations !! You have won the $50 voucher on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge !! :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, This is such exciting news! Thank you so very much! Can't wait to go shopping. :)

      Delete
  8. Hurrah--just saw you won the SSS gift certificate, Sybrina! Your card is just gorgeous--love the gold embossed sentiment & burlap flag! Hope you had a lovely time with your 2 dads. I miss mine so much.

    ReplyDelete