Saturday, March 28, 2015

A Two-for-One Sketch!!!

Hi, everyone!

Don't you just love the CAS style of this week's OWH Sketch?! I loved it so much that it inspired two cards.  :)


Card 1: You Add COLOR
 
I recently ordered some fabulous MFT stamps and dies. They are so fabulous that I used them right away to make the television cards in my two previous posts. But, I decided that the "COLOR" sentiment in the stamp would work really well with this OWH sketch.
 
Stampin' Up! white core; Recollections black; watercolor paper; Distress Ink scattered straw
MFT stay tuned stamp set; various Distress Inks, applied with Ranger blending tool
Cuttlebug swiss dot embossing folder; SU owl builder punch for bottom left circle
adhesives: Scotch ATG; Zots glue dots; Recollections foam squares
 
Rectangle inked to create
strips on front of card.
Love those Distress-Inked strips on the front! To create them, I inked up a rectangle of watercolor paper, as shown to the right. I started with mustard seed in the middle, going up with mowed lawn and salty ocean, and then going down with spiced marmalade and fired brick. After inking the rectangle, I cut the three strips and mounted them on black cardstock so that these pretty colors would pop off the card.
 
To carry the color theme to the inside of the card, I inked up the edge of a rectangle of watercolor paper. I then mounted it as the layer between two black cardstock rectangles, as shown above. Finally, a piece of white paper was added for one of OWH heroes to write a note home.
 
After doing all of this, I realized I could have just added a inked strip to the left side of the card's interior. Live and learn!
 
 
 I'm going to link up this card to the following challenges:
 
 
Card 2: U.S.A.

Of course, what's an OWH sketch without an Any Hero card?!

Here's today's sketch-inspired Any Hero card. Thought these ribbons were too pretty to not be a part of this card's focal point. Just wish I would've placed them a little closer together. This was the first sketch card I made, so I kind of messed up on that part. Thinking our heroes won't mind quite as much as I do.   :)


Stampin' Up! white core; Bazzil admiral; Distress Ink antique linen
Unity stamp sentiment, from ragged ol' flag stamp set, heat embossed in Zing copper powder
Really Reasonable Ribbon ribbon
??? corner rounder (for tiny stars) Recollections foam adhesive


Parting Thoughts

April Challenge
April 1 - April 21
There's a new Words 2 Scrap By challenge starting up on April 1. Hope you will join us for a challenge celebrating spring, Earth Day, and Arbor Day.  :)

Short and sweet today. Thanks for stopping and happy scrappin'!

4 comments:

  1. I love your cards, they turned out fabulous! And I think too that our Hero's won't mind or even know that your stripes are farther apart than you wanted. lol Still makes for a wonderful card! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cards are just perfect for our challenge! Nice work! Thanks for playing along with us this week at Shopping Our Stash!
    Hugz,
    Chana, DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. More awesome cards Sybrina!!! Thanks for joining the SHOPPING OUR STASH crew for our "Neon Rainbow" challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your COLOR card and how you made the word multicolored ! Even making matching paper for the inside, very nice.

    ReplyDelete