Saturday, March 7, 2015

HAPPY birthday to you

Happy weekend! Hope it's off to a great start.

Today's card is for the March Our Daily Bread Design challenge at Operation Write Home to make a card featuring a sentiment. Perfect timing for this birthday card.  :)

Tim Holtz idealogy collage; Stampin' Up! neutral (black) cardstock
Winnie & Walter big, bold, happy in Distress Ink walnut stain
SU owl-builder punch (for circles)
I'm literally here on an island -- a very nice island, but an island nonetheless -- with limited supplies. There is no Big Shot in my tool box here. Nor are there embossing folders, powders, or pastes. There are carefully selected neutral cardstocks, stamp sets, inks, paper pads, a trimmer, tape, punches, and a few embellishments.

So, I asked myself how can I pop a sentiment without my go-to heat-embossing trick. And, then I thought of Sandy's recent tip to use contrast. Eureka! I decided to use a much lighter strip of paper behind this really bold sentiment. By George, I think this works!

In addition to linking this up to the ODBD challenge, I'm also going to link it up at Seize the Birthday. This is a new challenge blog to me, and there is currently a masculine theme going on at STB. Sounds like a great fit for this little card.

Parting Thoughts

In case you haven't heard, there is a Unity/OWH blog hop going on to celebrate a new set of Unity patriotic stamps. Please click here to go to the start of the hop. And, our thanks to Unity for their generous support of OWH! I know I can't wait to ink up these new stamps.  :)



There's also still time to link up a card for OWH Sketch #249. Last week's sketch comes with a great opportunity to win Doodle Pantry goodies.  :)

Mar. 1 - Mar. 21

And, we have an in-like-a-lion-out-like-a-lamb weather-related Words 2 Scrap By challenge. Annie is hosting this month and if offering a $15 gift certificate to Stamps of Life for our winning entry. Hope you will join us.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Thanks for stopping and happy scrappin'!

6 comments:

  1. What a great masculine birthday card! I just love that big "happy" on this fun card! It just makes me want to smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That white strip really does make a difference! Fabulous job working with limited supplies. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the perfect guy card!
    Thank you so much for playing at Seize the birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that W&W happy! Great masculine card. Thanks so much for playing along at Seize The Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic job with your limited supplies. I don't think you need any other supplies on that island because you could not use anything else that would improve on this special card. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple and to the point. I really like CAS cards!

    ReplyDelete