- First of all, a huge thanks to all of you who left such kind comments about the cards featured on my Top Fourteen of 2014 post and about Operation Write Home's Featured Friday Card Maker post. I have to say I had a few reservations about taking on the OWH sketch challenge posts. But, when Sandy comes a calling, a gal's just gotta say yes. Your words of encouragement and support are much appreciated.
- In response to a couple of questions:
- The hearts on the owl card were made by using a stencil and some embossing paste.
- With regard to the cityscape card, yes, step cards are okay for OWH as long as they follow the general card-making guidelines (A2, no glitter, ...) However, I was a little concerned about that particular card. It really was pretty delicate. So, I left a post-it on the envelope asking that: 1) care be taken when removing/inserting the card, and 2) included blank paper on the reverse side to allow for handwritten notes home.
- Design Boot Camp was a monthly series of design classes in 2013. It was taught/conducted/presented by OWH's own Paula S, who is a graphic designer. She shared 10 or 11 key principles of design and then gave us an assignment that incorporated the principle presented, with a December recap. Paula's Boot Camp posts can be found by searching "design boot camp" in Stars and Stamps. Paula's lessons truly transformed what I do when making a card. Thanks, Paula!
- Secondly, I'd like to extend warm welcomes to Cynde and Kristie. Both ladies have joined this blog since my last post. Two new followers in this new year... cool beans! :)
- Lastly, this Midwest gal from Ohio just has to give a huge shout out to our Big Ten football teams who represented. And, Buckeye Football Fandom is reaching new heights -- which is really saying something. I don't think I've had a single conversation since New Year's night that didn't start with, "So, did you see that game?!" Who knows what January 12 will bring, but there are lots of happy, happy, happy Buckeyes for the time being.
happy, happy, happy
Today's card was inspired by my desire to try out those new Winnie & Walter cutaways that arrived a few days before Christmas. If you're not familiar with Winnie & Walter -- and you like fun fonts -- by all means, check out this fun company. I'm gaga over their Big, Bold sets. :)
The designer papers were gifted to me by a fellow crafter, but the front cover is missing. So, I'm guessing they are DCWV. Nonetheless, I just loved these fun, bright colors and thought they would be perfect with the whimsical sentiment -- thinking the black font would pop really nicely off this cheery yellow. Think these cutaways and papers will make lots of great cards for Operation Write Home. :)
I'm linking this card up for: the current Anything Goes challenge at Simon Says Stamp and the third NBUS (Never-Before-Used-Schtuff) Challenge being hosted by the uber-talented Darnell.
Again, welcome to Cynde and Kristie, and thanks to everyone for your kind words. :)
Jan. 1 - Jan. 21
Have a great week... I still have quite a bit of un-decorating to do. As always, thanks for stopping and happy scrappin'!