Sunday, February 1, 2015

W2SB #14: Do Something Different

I loved Bobbi's idea for a Groundhog Day-inspired Words 2 Scrap By challenge to do something different. 

I decided to step outside of my card-making box. The W2SB tag line encourages projects other than cards. So, I decided to use this an opportunity to try out possible non-card craft show ideas: gift card holders, bookmarks, and ornament tags.  :)

Gift Card Holders

Gift card holders seemed like a good place to start -- something that everyone needs during the holiday season... and something much quicker to make than my typical cards. So, where did I go for ideas? Why, the Internet, of course!

I found a number of design possibilities and went with a basic trifold design my holders. For step-by-step instructions for the holders shown below, please click here.  :)





Bookmarks

Next on my list, was trying my hand at some bookmarks. Again, the Internet came to the rescue with several options. I decided to go with corner bookmarks, like the ones shown here.

SU cherry cobbler; stash white; Recollections black (for bookmark base, not shown)
SU owl builder punch (for hat topper circle) adhered with Glue Dot
 
I actually ended up changing the dimensions of my bookmarks from 2.25" by 2.25" to 2.125" by 2.125" so that I could get four from an 8.5" by 11" sheet of paper. My steps for scoring and cutting are shown below.

Step 1: Cut 4.25" square pieces of paper.
Score lines along the middle vertically and horizontally.
Then, score diagonally as shown.

Step 2: Mark the sections to be cut out with Xs.


Step 3: Cut out the marked sections.

Step 4: Fold the two triangle along the scored lines.
Step 5: Decorate as desired.  :)

Since the Santa bookmark turned out pretty well, I'm going to make up several different kinds -- including monsters like the ones shown in the link above -- for next year's craft show. While there might be a market for Santa gift card holders, there probably isn't quite as much of a demand for Santa bookmarks after Christmas.  :)

Ornament Gift Tags

I really do think folks like my cards. But, most folks don't seem to send old-fashioned cards nearly as much these days. Seems these cards have been replaced by those fun photo cards. I'm thinking that gift tag versions that double as ornaments might be the way to go. They could be just the answer to card-like keepsakes.

In keeping with the holiday theme, I've made two versions of a Santa ornament/tag. Not quite sure which I prefer. Think I'm leaning towards the second ornament/tag which was inspired by a paper-pieced Santa I found on Pinterest.



various Distress Ink core paper, featuring pine needles; SU cherry cobbler; stash white
punches: SU word window and owl builder; Paper Shaper circle; EK snowflake border and hole
dies: Spellbinders Nestabilities scalloped circle and SU word bubble
Creative Memories circle cutting system
Paper Smooches twine; Stickles (crystal)
adhesives: Glue Dots; Recollections foam squares
Creative Memories circle cutting system
SU festival of trees to/from stamp

 
SU cherry cobbler; Distress Ink core, featuring antique linen; stash (Recollections?) white
Creative Memories circle cutting system
Spellbinders Nestabilities scallop circle die
punches: SU owl builder, EK hole
inking in DI barn door with SU sponge dauber
Paper Smooches twine; SU festival of trees to/from stamp (on back of ornament)

Parting Thoughts

Hope you will be able to join us for this month's W2SB challenge. In addition to a Guest I-Teamer gig and our W2SB winner badge, this month's winner will receive a polka-dot alphabet stamp set from My Favorite Things.

And, I'd love some feedback on the gift card holders, bookmarks, and ornament tags. Do you like one of these ideas more than the others? Have you sold anything like these at craft shows? If yes, how did it go? Feel free to leave a comment below about any feedback/suggestions.  :)

Hope the New Year is off to a great start. As always, thanks for stopping and happy scrappin'!


6 comments:

  1. My goodness, but you have been busy! I love your gift cards, bookmarks and tag ornaments! Everyone could use them so they would make great gift ideas. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the gift card holder - the foiled papers really glam them up! Thanks for being a great leader of Words 2 Scrap By!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your projects, Sybrina! I've never had much luck at Craft Fairs here, so can't give you any advice about that. I really love your gift card holders--great designs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your projects are just too adorable. Me thinks you are making some of us look bad with your huge head start here. hugs, :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they're all fantastic, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be the gift tag :) Great projects! I also wanted to let you know that I saw you won the Paper Smooches Valentine's sets from Scrapbook & Cards Today....congratulations!
    Sara
    www.PolkaDotRosie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if you'll see it, but I replied to your post on my blog. I'm following you now too :)

    ReplyDelete